Blowguns Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen my thread on slingshotforum.com about the chrony app that I got for my smart phone. If not, check it out here. The long and short of it is: you set the app up with all sorts of measurments and it uses sound to measure the time between when a projectile leaves the "muzzle" (because it was designed for airguns) and when it hits the target.

Slingshots are too quiet to register, so I shoot through a piece of paper that serves as the muzzle measurement. It works really well, giving consistent readings that are right in line with previously tested bands. We're still awaiting a side-by-side comparison with a traditional Chrony, but I'm confident it will be pretty close.

I tried it with my blowgun and got nowhere. The "pop" from the dart exiting the tube isn't enough to register. I think the dart sticking a cardboard target may not be loud enough, either. The target side is easy enough, shoot something metal. A soup can lid or something would make a nice "TING!" when hit, methinks. But what about the muzzle end? I tried shooting through a very thin sheet of newspaper to get a bit of a "report" (get it? :) ) but even that threw the dart way off course.

Anybody have any ideas for getting an audio-chrony to work with a blowgun?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wonder if you used a plug at the end of the BG that would have to pop out when you shoot the dart????

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if you used a plug at the end of the BG that would have to pop out when you shoot the dart????
Not a bad idea. Might distort the readings, though. Maybe if you made an effort to go "PFEW" through the blowgun when you shoot. Worth a shot, I think. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Is that a Moto Guzzi in your avatar or am I seeing things? :pic:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not a bad idea. Might distort the readings, though. Maybe if you made an effort to go "PFEW" through the blowgun when you shoot. Worth a shot, I think. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Yes That is a Moto Guzzi!!! Good eye!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts