Blowguns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Are you a Speed Freak? Do you have a desire to see how fast you can fling your ammo? Would you like to be recognized for a feat that is not that easy to achieve? If so we have a club for you, The "BGF Speed Club". Membership is challenging, but achievable.

Here's how to become a member:
Make a video with you and the Chrony should be visible when the shots are made. After each shot, either zoom to the Chrony readout or move the camera close enough to see the readout, keeping the Chrony in view at all times. The fastest shot must be backed up by at least one other shot within 10% of the same velocity. Please do not edit the video at any point between the first and last shot. It's OK to shoot a lot of shots and remove from each end, but the qualifying shots should be continuous.
Post the video and full information about the blowgun length, caliber, and ammo used below. Use any type or configuration of blowgun and darts you wish. Only human breath power is acceptable.

The purpose of the club is to recognize achievement and to advance the art of blowgunning. Members will be allowed to place an "BGF Speed Club" badge, with the appropriate achieved level of speed in their signature area.

Here are the badges that can be used by those that achieve each level of speed:
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Font Music Tints and shades
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Tints and shades Font Entertainment
Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Musical instrument Music Tints and shades

Who is the fastest? Here are the current achievers:

500 Level Members

400 Level Members

300 Level Members:

250 Level Members
Beanflip - 267.8 FPS (46" .50 PVC, 1.5" Finish Nails with Duct Tape cones)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
This isn't an easy feat. I obviously have to work on my darts, and lungs :). So far I only managed in the 170s. Don't worry I won't give up.. And I will get my stinking badge :)

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Congrats beanflip! I've got to dig out my F1, and yes as Aaron mentioned they are great for the money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got the chrony set up, but I'm a little hesitant to try it with a blowgun. I'm not sure my asthmatic lungs will get things up to speed. I may have to do a video on how not to get a speed badge. Either way it will have to be after the first of the year as I will be working New Years Eve and New Years day.

Good luck to everyone....I hope to see some really good speeds.

Todd

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Hey Todd, do it only when you feel comfortable. No shame in not getting there. Have fun. :)

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Hey Todd, do it only when you feel comfortable. No shame in not getting there. Have fun. :)
Dont lie to Todd, there is a whole lot of shame... He is required to earn a badge or he will be out ... he needs the pressure, and thrives on it.... It is the tough love that he deserves for being an outstanding member of the community.

note that only goes for Todd, everyone else have fun :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dont lie to Todd, there is a whole lot of shame... He is required to earn a badge or he will be out ... he needs the pressure, and thrives on it.... It is the tough love that he deserves for being an outstanding member of the community.

note that only goes for Todd, everyone else have fun :)
Ok...so now I have the president of my fan club...anyone else want to be in the club? :p

Thanks LGD...I'm feeling the love. I'll get there...cause I want to stay in...might take me a little while, but I'll get there. Shoot...I haven't even gotten my 300fps badge with a slingshot....yet....hehe.

Turtle...thanks for the thoughts. I only do this for the fun. While I like to compete, I don't care if I win. I'm here to take last place so no one else has to...oh yea....and to have more fun than an old(ish) guy should legally be allowed to have. :D

Todd

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Turtle...thanks for the thoughts. I only do this for the fun. While I like to compete, I don't care if I win. I'm here to take last place so no one else has to...oh yea....and to have more fun than an old(ish) guy should legally be allowed to have. :D

Todd
Don't listen to him, he's a well-known sandbagger!

He came to the Summer Nationals Slingshot Tournament saying the same thing and ended up taking home third place B)

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
This is going to be challenging for me! I set up my chrony and have some good heaves into the pipe but my best

speed was 123fps using 12 inch skewers. I don't think those are really going to be the winning darts for this

competition.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Or they could be too light. Try adding some weight to one with a wire wrap or tinfoil and see what happens. You might be surprised.
I am starting to believe that is so... I still haven't broke 200 yet (soon after I get some gear I need), but the first tests with cone and skewer, then lightening it up, I realized that I was losing speed. January is the month of speed for me (maybe Feb :) )

LGD

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now that I think about it, more weight does make sense! It allows for more pressure to build before it starts moving. Similar principle to the magnet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just like in fire arms a lot plays a role. Aerodynamics, inertia, explosive velocity, drag & resistance and efficiency, At least with a firearm you can be consistent with your propelling properties. Making sure you have the right volume pipe to match your lungs and how quickly you can expel your air will mean a lot as well. I hope to be able to join this competition with in the next month or so.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts