Blowguns Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these out? It looks like an awesome idea, a shotgun blowgun. But are they really effective? or do they just bounce off the target?

A video would be nice :D

-C

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ya I have only seen photos and none in action so I am guessing they must not be that great or else CS would have made a video of them in action.

·
Registered
208 Posts
From what I've heard, they are a novelty at best. Very careful loading is required to get a decent "pattern" with three flechettes loaded but they are still scattering enough to enable any small target to fit between them. Heavier loads are worse and if you do happen to hit something that you are trying to damage, it will only receive a small percentage of the force you applied.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If useful for anything, than maybe for something like bughunting. A mexican bar full of cockroaches, a bg with a pack of multis and some tequilla... could be a really funny night!

But for targetshooting - Why? I don´t think those dart are allowed at official competitions.

And for hunting? Not serious - much to less power, as already mentioned by Neondog .

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are wanting a shotgun pattern, here's how to do it. (For a .625 Big Bore) You need BBs, 18. ga. cloth patches, and some 18.ga muzzle loading cardboard wads. (Or you can trim 12 ga. patches and wads to size). You'll also need something long enough for a ramrod. Start by loading one of the wads. Next, measure out 15 or so BBs, and pour them down the barrel. Place another over-shot wad on top of the BBs, using the ramrod. Next, place the cloth patch over the barrel, and ease it all the way to the BBs with the ram rod. Push it in snugly so you get a good, tight air seal.

Now, when your ready, just fire it as normal. You'll get a decent pattern out to around 10-15 yards. You can adjust the pattern by how many BBs you load. Less = tighter pattern. More = wider pattern. I hunt quail like this all the time (during the season, of course...). Quail usually fly up right under your feet, so by the time you get your blowgun up and aimed, it's only about a 5-7 yard shot. It takes a little practice, but it's loads of fun (and feeds you as well..).

For a .40 cal, just use .410 patches and wads, and trim them slightly to fit. For a .50 cal, use 28 ga patches and wads, and trim them slightly to fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ya I have only seen photos and none in action so I am guessing they must not be that great or else CS would have made a video of them in action.
they have a place i cold bs but there actually kinda viscous when loaded right

we have these lil black birds grackles i think perfect for these little problems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts