1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
208 Posts
For several years now, Ive been wanting to make a competition grade River Cane blowgun to get my name up off of the bottom of every competition I join at the Cherokee National Holiday celebrations Labor day weekends in Talequah Oklahoma.
Ive bought a few lesser blowguns there and some pieces of River Cane that had potential but haven't been drilled. I've left the 'contenders' alone for fear of ruining them in the learning process.
I can start playing now because I found five 8' pieces in a garden center for about $11. Most of it is smaller than optimum diameter but I believe I can get two or three good four footers after playing around with the waste material.
Heads up, the package identified it as bamboo but it looks alot more like Cane to me. Brand name is Growers Edge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the tip. I wanted to make something a little more stout but, a good source of bamboo is a good thing to know as it is quite useful for lots of things and would make a great blowgun, quivers, etc.

·
Premium Member
4' .357 cal. 2' .50 cal, 3' .50 cal, 4' .50 cal carbon fiber, 5' .625 cal 2 piece, 5' .625 cal
62 Posts
I was considering turning a piece of wood on a lathe to look like bamboo, but now I honestly think hand carving is the way to go because those look amazing! Awesome work man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I handcarved it so I could get the most strength out of it for use as a hiking staff. It is stronger than turning sections and glueing, you can also make the tubing fit much tighter than a drilled hole. The red oak one is 2 pieces of wood inletted the same way a gun barrel would be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For several years now, Ive been wanting to make a competition grade River Cane blowgun to get my name up off of the bottom of every competition I join at the Cherokee National Holiday celebrations Labor day weekends in Talequah Oklahoma.
Ive bought a few lesser blowguns there and some pieces of River Cane that had potential but haven't been drilled. I've left the 'contenders' alone for fear of ruining them in the learning process.
I can start playing now because I found five 8' pieces in a garden center for about $11. Most of it is smaller than optimum diameter but I believe I can get two or three good four footers after playing around with the waste material.
Heads up, the package identified it as bamboo but it looks alot more like Cane to me. Brand name is Growers Edge.
Nice so growers edge
Definitely got try that myself

·
Registered
1 Posts
how to make a blowgun more powerful?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts