Blowguns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a hunter, but, ironically I have an interest in pretty much anything lethal. particular ammunition of all kinds. I've been crafting arrows for some time as Archery is a fierce hobby of mine (when i find the time).

I was wondering if anyone here has used poison darts of some kind, and how effective they may be, and whether or not that poison can be used on small darts to successfully hunt quarry of a size disproportionate to the size of the dart - if you know what i mean...

Recently i used a few weeks to do some research about toxic plants and which ones in particular were and are used in the creation of poisons for hunting. After a lot more research into the properties of specific toxins i started to theorise how i could use the plants which contain said toxins to create potent poisons for use on ammunition. I came to the conclusion that i can in fact create a poison which may serve as a viable replacement to big heavy darts for hunting bigger game. The problem was sourcing the plants and finding out about methods of extraction to get what i need. I know this kind of stuff is already out there, i'm doing this because obtaining this stuff is probably pretty difficult and possibly illegal, depending on where you are. also, i thought it would be cool if people could make effective poisons from plants in their area!

i'd like to know what design of dart everybody thinks would best serve the purpose of delivering a lethal dose to a prey animal with minimal materials.

any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any kind of poison would take a long time for it to work. It's really not that practical, unless you want to wait all day or longrr for it too work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I can't speak for anyone else, but living in Fargo ND there is not a whole lot up here that is really capable of being turned into a fatal poison. Plenty of stuff that might make you sick, but trying to brew it into a poison could make you sick also.

If I lived further south I'd be looking at things like snake venom. Not that hard to find, and a smear on a dart could well be fatal to a smaller animal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I were to try anything it would be Monkshood, or as most people know it as Wolf's Bane. I'm pretty sure it's used for landscaping in the US(not native), so you would have to grow it yourself. As for Africa I would look into poisonous sap from certain trees if you're in the right area. There's also a beetle that is poisonous in that area but I don't remember it's name. Though the beetle's poison could take days to kill the animal. Wolf's Bane on the other hand can take a couple of hours in small doses and be immediate in large. Never really know how much a small or large dose really is though.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I am more of a target shooter when it comes to blowguns. If I did want to kill something with a blowgun I would most likely just try to use the most lethal dart I could come up with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The thing about using the poison is to go for larger game, so you have more meat. Normally once they had taken prey with their poison blow darts they would not eat the meat where the wound was. At least that's what I've heard. A lot of the poisons were not made to kill the animal, but to stun/paralyze, which are the poisons I'd like to make if ever needed. Such as Curare, it's a paralyzing poison. Though in sufficient doses it leads to death. As for working with the poisons, yes there are a lot of them that could in fact poison you just by working with it. Such as the sap of the tree I mentioned earlier. Nicotine is another toxin that has been used as a poison, 1 drop of pure Nicotine is enough to kill someone. It can be absorbed through your skin too, which is why you must wear protective clothing and eye wear when extracting it. Plenty of dangers when dabbling in poisons and such.

With some kinds of poison you could poisen your food & then yourself. Or yourself just working with the stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All true. So conclusion = poison, bad idea.
There it's a plant called Acokanthera Oppositifolia, it occurs naturally rather close to where i stay now, that's the one I'm looking for. History tells us that humans inflicted with an arrow wound using a poison created with only that bush leads to death in 30 minutes to 2 hours.

So what type of dart would best deliver a toxin?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chimes, curare might be fun to make, i think i can actually get hold of Strychnos spinosa or St. pungens. You might have to grow it yourself though. I never knew that nicotine was so toxic! How is it extracted?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I were to try anything it would be Monkshood, or as most people know it as Wolf's Bane. I'm pretty sure it's used for landscaping in the US(not native), so you would have to grow it yourself. As for Africa I would look into poisonous sap from certain trees if you're in the right area. There's also a beetle that is poisonous in that area but I don't remember it's name. Though the beetle's poison could take days to kill the animal. Wolf's Bane on the other hand can take a couple of hours in small doses and be immediate in large. Never really know how much a small or large dose really is though.
I'm sure you could get hold of water hemlock. That is extremely potent too. Might work well with monkshood!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm sure you could get hold of water hemlock. That is extremely potent too. Might work well with monkshood!
I'm sure I could easily find Water Hemlock, also able to find Poison Hemlock. Which is similar to Curare's workings where it causes paralysis of respiratory muscles which results in death due to lack of oxygen to the brain and heart. Also, it's similar to Nicotine. I've seen a lot of Poison Hemlock at the river I go night fishing/snagging at.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Nicotine seems easy to extract. If you want to look up The Anarchist Cookbook. Maybe also The Poor Mans James Bond. Nicotine has been used to kill insects on crops for some time. They may have stopped using it, but I do not know. Believe it or not most of what I typed has come from mystery novels and then I checked it online.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nicotine seems easy to extract. If you want to look up The Anarchist Cookbook. Maybe also The Poor Mans James Bond. Nicotine has been used to kill insects on crops for some time. They may have stopped using it, but I do not know. Believe it or not most of what I typed has come from mystery novels and then I checked it online.
Seems to be expected since Nicotine is in fact a natural insecticide. That's the tobacco plants natural defense!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! i did not know that! thanks! The Anarchist Cookbook looks awesome!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sure I could easily find Water Hemlock, also able to find Poison Hemlock. Which is similar to Curare's workings where it causes paralysis of respiratory muscles which results in death due to lack of oxygen to the brain and heart. Also, it's similar to Nicotine. I've seen a lot of Poison Hemlock at the river I go night fishing/snagging at.
haha, no way! thats hectic, lol mail some to me!? just kidding. probably illegal as hell

·
Registered
24 Posts
I get Nicotine for my Electronic Cig (Make my own juice, long term cig and pipe smoker, 40 years)

It is available in quite high concentrations, and is very reasonably priced.

Now how much 48 milligrams per Millimeter Nicotine in Vegetable Glycerin you would need to kill a creature is a whole nother subject.

Along with exactly what kind of delivery system you'd need.

But if anyone near Fargo ND wants to try some, stop by, have a cup of coffee or a homebrew beer and we'll set you up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The thing about using the poison is to go for larger game, so you have more meat. Normally once they had taken prey with their poison blow darts they would not eat the meat where the wound was. At least that's what I've heard. A lot of the poisons were not made to kill the animal, but to stun/paralyze, which are the poisons I'd like to make if ever needed. Such as Curare, it's a paralyzing poison. Though in sufficient doses it leads to death. As for working with the poisons, yes there are a lot of them that could in fact poison you just by working with it. Such as the sap of the tree I mentioned earlier. Nicotine is another toxin that has been used as a poison, 1 drop of pure Nicotine is enough to kill someone. It can be absorbed through your skin too, which is why you must wear protective clothing and eye wear when extracting it. Plenty of dangers when dabbling in poisons and such.
Actually, you can eat curare.

Not that I am suggesting you do so.

I honestly think that the safest way to make such a poison dart is to make a sort of hypodermic needle dart with a ball in it, which on impact the ball literally shoves the poison out of the needle.

Curare kills by paralyzing the muscles- it is sometimes used in modern medical stuff for relaxing muscles.

It kills because it paralyzes the diaphragm. So its actually suffocation.

I dunno how to extract nicotine, but I imagine one could simply buy a lot of tobacco- it does have nicotine content...

A better way might be to use something EXTREMELY corrosive, with the same hypodermic method mentioned above.

very-small-diameter bamboo can be used in .62 cal blowguns. I have done so.

Actually, I found some river-cane(an american bamboo) growing wild(of course I cut some).

There were a few 1/8th inch diameter MATURE stems... and they were hollow. They were also some of the toughest bamboo to cut ever, and had some of the hardest outer walls ever.

I believe wolfsbane isn't actually that toxic compared to other compounds.

Another effective one would be needle-darts shot from a SMALL .22 or .30 cal blowgun. extremely high speed, very accurate(I have a carbon fiber tube inner diam is 6.15 mil... about .25), and extremely lethal to most small game. I recall killing a rabbit by hitting it in the eye with spun nail dart. Needle-darts will easily penetrate the skull of most birds. combine that with a little poison.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow! i did not know that! thanks! The Anarchist Cookbook looks awesome!
Just warning you, The Anarchist Cookbook is actually mostly BS from what I have heard. Most of its projects assume the maker has no qualms about accidentally killing themselves in the process.

I believe that it may also make the gov't watch you rather closely.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts