Blowguns Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I finally found Acokanthera Oppositifolia! going to combine it with Nerium Oleander and maybe some latex from a few other nasty plants and then, sorry to say, it's on to testing on the damn pigeons that shit on my tiles. Or i'll just keep using stun darts.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Chips, over the years of Blow Gunning that I have been involved in the hobby/sport this subject has come up many many times and generally speaking now it is usually met with the same thoughts and although those thoughts are not always voiced most are of disapproval for the idea and it is generally the younger members of the forums who bring up this topic the most.

I can only see the use of poison being justified in situations of needing to provide sustenance in places like the jungles where such poisons like curare (spelling?) are used which when introduced to the blood stream of the animal kills the animal but does no harm to the person who consumes that animal. Very very special knowledge is needed in the preparation of these substances that has been learned and past down through generations of tribal peoples which I'm pretty sure you don't possess.

The other scenario I could see someone wanting to use poison is in vermin control like rats, racoons etc. It has been mentioned that Monkshood/Wolfsbane could be used by Chimes. Yes this is a deadly poison of great notoriety. But what is seldom known is what a long and painful heinous death this and many other poisons inflict on the animal that is is being used on. i don't believe in shooting anything I'm not going to eat just for sport with the exception of problem animals that do harm to property or could spread disease but I don't hate those animals so why oh why would I want to inflict such treacherous torture on these animals by using poison? I can with a little planning dispatch them far more humanely than by the use of poison and so can you. Please re-think your plans of their use.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A lot of my friends like to hunt with their .625 bore BGs with proper broad head darts, witch is fine with me. It's my personal choice that I don't just because of the fact that no mater how good or well I place the shot in the kill zone there is a slight chance that my attempt(s) may fail and cause unnecessary suffering to the quarry. For me I prefer an Airgun with an attitude of one shot = one kill, bigger game = bigger weapon. I even use a caliber with enough fpe to kill the quarry 5 time over, a minimum of 12 fpe expelled into the pray is needed in order to humanly kill a Starling according to. Also having confident that with having extremely consistent repeatable accuracy to expedite a quick follow up shot(s) just in case. For me there is no such of a thing as over kill, but to not have enough to kill humanly to begin with obviously and in the need to use poison(s). Seems rather desperate, cruel and dangerous for the shooter (BGner) as well.

Just my 2 pennies ~ GKU

Added note:
BG shooting a 3 gram dart @ 200 fps at the muzzle = about only 4 fpe at the muzzle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
it depends a LOT on how said energy is distributed.

an arrow has far less KE than a .22, but it is a heck of a lot more deadly if tipped with a broadhead.

Anybody disagree?

My main problem with poison-

What if I accidentally scratch myself?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Chips, over the years of Blow Gunning that I have been involved in the hobby/sport this subject has come up many many times and generally speaking now it is usually met with the same thoughts and although those thoughts are not always voiced most are of disapproval for the idea and it is generally the younger members of the forums who bring up this topic the most.

I can only see the use of poison being justified in situations of needing to provide sustenance in places like the jungles where such poisons like curare (spelling?) are used which when introduced to the blood stream of the animal kills the animal but does no harm to the person who consumes that animal. Very very special knowledge is needed in the preparation of these substances that has been learned and past down through generations of tribal peoples which I'm pretty sure you don't possess.

The other scenario I could see someone wanting to use poison is in vermin control like rats, racoons etc. It has been mentioned that Monkshood/Wolfsbane could be used by Chimes. Yes this is a deadly poison of great notoriety. But what is seldom known is what a long and painful heinous death this and many other poisons inflict on the animal that is is being used on. i don't believe in shooting anything I'm not going to eat just for sport with the exception of problem animals that do harm to property or could spread disease but I don't hate those animals so why oh why would I want to inflict such treacherous torture on these animals by using poison? I can with a little planning dispatch them far more humanely than by the use of poison and so can you. Please re-think your plans of their use.
I agree entirely! that was put as excellently as it was wise and thought provoking. :) i'm not a hunter of any sort, occasionally shooting a rat on my bird feeder would be one of my only exceptions. I too believe in hunting only what one needs to eat, as for pest control (pigeons), I normally use home-made foam tipped stun darts. in the past my parents used rat poison for the ones in the ceiling, i eventually prevailed upon them to stop and instead I practiced "catch and release." thanks for showing concern. lol i honestly don't know what i would use the poison for as I doubt i'll ever have need, it's more of a novelty for me than anything else, if that makes any sense. in my above post i guess you could say i was joking around as i couldn't shoot a bird with something lethal and not regret it unless it's for food.

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK, bad bad BAD idea to use poison for hunting. Curare is NOT a poison, it is a muscle relaxant. It relaxes your heart and lungs to the point of not working. It also dissipates, making the meat safe to eat. If you are shot with curare (or get it in a hospital during an operation), you can be safely resusitated. Game taken (Amazon jungle) with curare tipped darts - runs off, moving the checical through the body. Heart and lungs fail, it drops down out of the treetops, breaking its neck or back - THAT kills it. The muscle relaxant dissipates, and its good to eat.

Not so with poison. Use that, eat it, and you join the game animal. Cherokee hunted with a blowgun, never used poisons. Ditto for the Chocktaw, and a few other North American tribes.

In the US, it is illegal to hunt using chemical enhanced weapons (darts, arrows, etc.). ... if we're talking survival scenario - better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 - so anything goes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I can't speak for anyone else, but living in Fargo ND there is not a whole lot up here that is really capable of being turned into a fatal poison. Plenty of stuff that might make you sick, but trying to brew it into a poison could make you sick also.

If I lived further south I'd be looking at things like snake venom. Not that hard to find, and a smear on a dart could well be fatal to a smaller animal.
Hey GhostHawk,

You could probably kill some of the prey in N.D. with the right size ice sickle. HEHEHE!!! That guy sure was interested in a bunch of random poison information, eh? I don't feel comfortable with subjects like that for very long, and it keeps getting more and more "random". Well, I do live in the South, and foolin' with the snakes we have here is an adventure in and of itself----in stupidity as well as a fair amount of danger. I'm almost 60 years old, and have an attitude of; don't "F" with the rattle snake, because he's not "Fn" with you. And please don't kill the snake, or attempt to "milk" it . That just makes the snake angrier, at best, and at worst, there is the concern of being bitten. I've had friends over the years loose some fingers, toes. If the equipment you are using is not enough to get thrvcx gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff c

21 - 28 of 28 Posts