Blowguns Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Using sabots world very well. I like using them with little Fletcher arrows. would probably work with something like you posted above.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I found that plain ole Nerf darts (the foamy little things our rug rats still manage to break things with) will fly out of my Cold Steel big bore with pretty good velocity and it has decent mass, knocking empty Coke cans over and sticking to non pouros surfaces quite aggressively.. I'm still in the planning phase, but I think I will test to see if I can sharpen a golf tee, slice a Nerf dart into thirds and try to make my first sabot round.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use a sabot for my homemade air cannon when firing bb's. I just melt a little cavity that I can fill up with 30 or so bbs and then let 'er rip! I don't know if there would be much of a point in using a sabot because of the increased surface area on the projectile, but for firing multiple darts or even bbs it could be fun!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sabots are also useful for firing sub caliber projectiles such as a 3/8" steel ball out of a .625 barrel. A good sabot for this is two orange cones on either end of a short piece of dowel with a magnet on the outside of the barrel to prevent the ball from rolling out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I tried the golf tee, it sticks at extremely close range, but long range (15'+) it tumbles and slaps the target.

I think a heavier projectile would be best, or maybe a bunch of BBs marbles or lead shot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think it tumbles cuz it wasn't meant to be sent down range. Maybe one of those goofy 3 inch long tees would work better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts