Blowguns Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of ways to increase the blowgun popularity , as for myself I love them but how do we get our numbers up? What age group are our current blowgunners ? I'm 37 and have been shooting since I was little . Off and on of course , I have gotten three of the kids from the neighborhood interested . When they see my son and I hunting in the woods or just shooting they come around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 38 and just picked up my first real blowgun. Well, I was actually introduced in a strange way to blowguns in my youth.

I was skateboarding in my town way back when during a prade. I looked down at my knee and noticed a qtip with a needle melted into it stuck in there. It didn't hurt but after that I experimented with straws and qtip darts for a while but lost interest.

Today on my ride home I did mention to the woman that I may pick up a paintball mouthpiece and some balls for when her neice and nephew come up so they can join in the fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paintball war founds fun my son and use the stun darts and shot them at each other . Paintball are much safer and hurt less.

·
Registered
114 Posts
actually my favorite ever was to fill cones with gorilla glue, and wear airsoft masks. it foams enough to support the cone and give it some weight, but not enough to actually really hurt someone.

at point blank with a geezer blowgun it can barely puncture skin with normal paper cones, using blunt tyvek(basically cut the end of the cone off at 5.5mm and stick a 6mm airsoft BB in there, then fill behind it with gorilla glue- worth the work, lasts a few hundred shots if you don't lose it!) it just stings like a bee and leaves a little welt.

BTW I'm 15.

Just a heads-up about teenagers- most parents don't like stuff like that.

Plus us teens are busy, and often don't have a good place to shoot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We'll not very many takers in the post so let's do this. Each of us invite one person to shoot with them , let's try to build interest maybe we get them turned on to blowgunning and tell them about this forum. If we all take part we should start seeing more post and members .

·
Registered
114 Posts
one shot, that is how I got into using bullets for blowgun ammo.

I invited one of my (crazy zombie killing gun nut idiotic *******) friends to go squirrel hunting, and we actually got a squirrel. he now shoots a little.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's good you guys got a squirrel they have been the hardest varmint for us to take. We use a squirrel call when they get up three and hard to find.

·
Registered
491 Posts
We'll not very many takers in the post so let's do this. Each of us invite one person to shoot with them , let's try to build interest maybe we get them turned on to blowgunning and tell them about this forum. If we all take part we should start seeing more post and members .
Good idea. I try to spark interest on the slingshot forum by showing shots and capabilities of the BG. Had some members come over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
actually my favorite ever was to fill cones with gorilla glue, and wear airsoft masks. it foams enough to support the cone and give it some weight, but not enough to actually really hurt someone.

at point blank with a geezer blowgun it can barely puncture skin with normal paper cones, using blunt tyvek(basically cut the end of the cone off at 5.5mm and stick a 6mm airsoft BB in there, then fill behind it with gorilla glue- worth the work, lasts a few hundred shots if you don't lose it!) it just stings like a bee and leaves a little welt.

BTW I'm 15.

Just a heads-up about teenagers- most parents don't like stuff like that.

Plus us teens are busy, and often don't have a good place to shoot.
agreed man! I turned 14 2 weeks back or so. I got into blowgun hunting because my neighbours said that me shooting my slingshot was too loud... being in Australia I can't shoot airsoft guns so I gotta stick to my blowgun and shooting boxes with boo darts. But ever since I started shooting, I've been in love and actually spend more time with it than my slingshot. I was first introduced when my dad rolled up a sheet of news paper into a tube and made a real nice "dart" by rolling up a piece of newspaper into a tight and I mean tight, cylinder (no holes obviously) we had some wars with em ( my dad's still only 40) and they only sting a little. so that's how I got into it and my age. also got a friend into it. he saw it at my house and immediately fell in love :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am 56 and have been BG'ing since I was 10 or 11. I shot with ignorant bliss for many many years even with my two sons until one day I was sharing in a conversation with a friend what a great day I had had with the boys BG'ing up in the bush. Being a policeman he promptly informed me that "those are illegal in Canada". I thought to myself "WTF"? How can something so innocently fun be illegal? I did not know. That ended my BG"ing within the country of Canada.

I would like to throw in a different take on things here just to give you something to think about, contemplate and consider.

I've learned to be content with the way things are over the years rather than trying to draw more people in to share with because it seems that whenever something gets popular it attracts idiots and no minds that give that activity a bad name and some politician then gets wind of it and decides to make a name for himself by banning that activity. The state of California is a good example and the country of Canada as well. I can tell you it's no fun being into BG's and being Canadian as I am. I have to wait each year till my wife and I return to Mexico for six months to get away from the winter to legally enjoy my beloved hobby only while in Mexico. Now a days I'm much more content to fly under the radar without the need to have someone to shoot with. I can continue to enjoy my hobby while in Mexico. At least there I won't get arrested for it.

The more you use a BG the more you should be realizing it's potential lethality. With that lethality comes the requirement for great responsibility and honestly most kids under the age of 18 don't have it now a days. For that matter most adults don't have it either. So I would suggest to you that the quality of the individuals you choose to share this hobby with is far more important than the quantity. I would be content just with the notion that you still have the right to blowgun and enjoy it without having the need to draw others to it.

Jus my 2 cents for what it's worth.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We'll said, my original post was to find an age to zero in on . But it seems we are all over the spectrum when it comes to age. That's good you are able to travel like that . I agree responsibility should be a factor when trying to introduce others to the hobby. Quality before quantity , yes you are right .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am 55, and have been hunting with blowguns since the 1970s. I got turned on to them in the Philippines, where the Moros still use them for hunting. When I was stationed in Subic Bay, on weekends I used to borrow a boat and go over to Mindanao where they live. They taught me how to use blowguns, and how to hunt wild pigs with minimal gear. I was hooked on primitive stuff from then on.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts