Blowguns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I've got to get a plum bob, or something similar, so I can start exerimenting with plastics. Right now though, I've only used

duct tape. and after seeing backyardboyer's youtube video on a great way to do them, I've just about got the perfect

shaped cone going. Round and a better seal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If used backyard bowyers from the get go..... all the other ones dont seem to work as well.....I also love making his PVC bows

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got to get a plum bob, or something similar, so I can start exerimenting with plastics. Right now though, I've only used

duct tape. and after seeing backyardboyer's youtube video on a great way to do them, I've just about got the perfect

shaped cone going. Round and a better seal.
always made my cones that way until one day I ran out of duct tape (NOOOOOOOOOO) so I was desperate for some more darts as it is my well, go to thing to do when I have nothing to do. So I tried paper that I hardened with superglue and using bamboo skewers with fired (?) tips and glue hardened tip. been using that now, lighter, faster and generally more accurate due to the fact that I can centre the shaft quite easily! (that's what she said ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, I probably forgot to mention that I do NOT use superglue (too messy) but I use modeler's cement. I build model kits as well and decided to sort of combine (?) the two ideas together. So, This is what I do,

1, make cone

2.cut to size

3,tape the very tip to edge of work bench table etc

4, coats using modeler's cement. The kind I use comes with a brush. It is EXTREMELY easy toa pply

5, wait for about 5 minutes depending on how much you used

6, insert shaft and shoot!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Methinks Tyvek is the ULTIMATE cone material.

the slickness and speed of paper, with the durability and air-seal of duct tape.

Also weighs about the same as paper.

·
Registered
114 Posts
tyvek is a bonded HDPE material, and it looks much like paper...

Funny thing to do with it-

go convince someone it is ordinary paper... have them try to rip it.

normal human strength cannot rip it.

it is easily cut with scissors...

in the US, tyvek is fairly easy to get. just go to a construction site, and buy the remnants of the tyvek houswrap used by the workers. They usually throw them out so they are happy to sell it to you.

i get my tyvek from a friend whose dad works in the construction industry. it is a LOT cheaper to buy in bulk, so we just split it up.

there are also envelops (in the US) made of tyvek.

They are extremely strong as well, but it is illegal to use the tyvek for other things...

they work just fine for blowgun cones.

Tyvek is somewhat more flexible than paper. hence it requires a different sort of cone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dunno. All I have ever used is the commercial plastic cones from Cold Steel. They work good enough for me so that I haven't really considered anything else.

I did try making some darts once, from dowels and old razor blades. They didn't fly as good as the CS broadheads, or the bamboo darts, so I gave up. I do modify my CS darts, though. Some I cut barbs into for fishing, and I always sharpen the edges of the broad-heads to shaving-sharp. I get them close with a Dremel, then finish them off with an AccuSharp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts